Psalm 118:24

"This is the day that the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it." Psalm 118:24

Friday, February 3, 2012

February's 30 Days of Thankful

"Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."
1Thess. 5:18

Have you ever noticed how smoothly your day tends to go when you have a good attitude?  Or, maybe I should rephrase that and ask, have you ever noticed how everything seems to go wrong on the days when you are grouchy or in a bad mood?  I certainly have.  And lately, I'm finding those days are coming a little too often than I am comfortable with.  I've been convicted lately that GRATITUDE AFFECTS YOUR ATTITUDE.   I think this is so true.  I have alot to be thankful for.  I'm alive!  I have a loving Savior who died for me and now I'm forgiven; I have an amazing husband who I love more now than I did when I married him almost 8 years ago; God has blessed us with 3 incredible kids (plus 1 I'll get to meet when I get to Heaven); we have a house to live in; we are able to pay our bills each month; the list goes on and on.  I'm not bragging -- sometimes it helps to have a list as a reminder on the days when we're feeling less than thankful.  So I got to thinking: how can I be in a bad mood when I am spending my time focusing on being thankful instead of looking at what's wrong in my life?  Things would look alot different if we focus on what's right in our lives instead of what's wrong.

So here's my challenge.  I hope you'll join me:

Starting on Monday, February 6, 2012, I will be spending the following 30 days being thankful.  I heard about a local church doing this last year, and thought it was such a great idea! 

First, I want you to make a list of everything in your life that you have to be thankful for.  Take your time -- I bet the list will be lengthier than you think.  Next, I want you to hang your list up somewhere you can easily see it, the refrigerator, bathroom mirror, your desk or wall at work.  You will be looking at, and reading, this list everyday for the next 30 days.  I would suggest reading it every morning before you start your day.  Think of it like Wheaties for the soul.  And don't hesitate to look at your list throughout the day when you start to feel down or negative, or if things just don't seem to be going your way.  Remember, our goal is to be thankful when we feel like complaining.  You may even find that you need to add to your thankful list as the month progresses.  It's amazing how God can open our eyes to things we never even consider.
       

Next, beginning Monday, February 6, 2012, we will use the following catergories to create a list of things we are thankful for.  List one item in each category each day. 
  1. Personal -- this should revolve around your own talents, gifts, personality qualities, physical characteristics, or anything that helps you be a better person.
  2. Work/School - this is wherever you spend the majority of your day.
  3. Church - this could be a person in ministry, a specific ministry, an aspect of worship, or anything at all that would reflect the ministry of the church.
  4. Family - this covers all the aspects of your family life.  It could be something regarding your parents, spouse, children, siblings, ect. 
Unfortunately, I don't know that name of the church that did this challenge last year.  I wish I did.  All I know is that the church is located in Central Pennsylvania.  But I think this was a Holy Spirit inspired idea and I would love to hear how lives where changed!

I'll be sharing my list each day (leaving out specific names where applicable) and I'd love you to share yours too!  I'll also be posting updates on how my life is affected by my new attitude.  I'd also love to hear how your life is affected by being thankful too!

1 comment: